Post the First

WEEK 1 - Reharmonization and Research

So, the goal of this project is to create a 2-movement duet for french horn and bass trombone. It seems simple, but it's a lot more complex than you might think. First, I need to write the music itself. There are many different tools for this, like Finale, Sibelius, and Musescore. I chose Musescore because it's free and much more beginner-friendly than the others.
Mr. Meredith advised Cole and I to begin this project by reharmonizing a simple melody we already knew. I chose In the Hall of the Mountain King, by Edvard Grieg. It's a simple 8-bar melody, and relatively diatonic as well.

My reharmonization is relatively simple, with some Gm, Dm and F chords. I also threw in a Dbm and Cm because they fit the melody. I’ve done some research on chord functions, but I’m not totally sure yet. All I know is Gm is the I, Dm is the V, F is the VII, and Dbm and Cm are not part of the G minor scale.

To recap:

I'm using Musescore for composition, and this week I started off with a simple melody and harmonized it with simple chords. My final goal will be to write a movement of a duet for french horn and bass trombone, with Cole writing the other.

Comments

  1. You clearly have an existing knowledge of your topic, and I’m excited to see how you will grow. I love your idea (well, Mr. Meredith‘s) to start off by creating new harmonies to a classic song that we all know. You have a really good start. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment